Saturday, June 24, 2006

The ingredients

I admit it. It's a rare day that I pay attention to the ingredients of anything. I usually figure it will take some of the joy out of eating it. I think that there is a definite joy in eating. The Last Angry Young Man just spent a week eating nothing but Monkey Chow. He was quoted in this Chicago Tribune article as saying, "Heading in I was convinced that, although I'd miss out on the pleasure element of food, I could handle it for a week. But it hit me harder than I thought. You know, before when people would say "chocolate makes me happy," I laughed at it as trivial and simplistic, but now I understand it better. It's not just something fat people say to justify eating."
So I rarely look at ingredients, so I can enjoy food. However, since I got this idea to give up High Fructose Corn Syrup for a month, I have taken to looking at the ingredients. Today I was eating some sour gummy worms (can't get enough), and saw that the top ingredient in them is corn syrup.
Now I don't know if I'll give up all corn syrup or just high fructose corn syrup, but the thought of giving up gummy worms is pretty sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home